Technicus Consulting are pleased to be working with East Suffolk Council & Lowestoft Town Council providing structural engineering design and consultancy services for the Lowestoft Ravine Bridge Structural Repair Project. Our scope of works is primarily focused on design and specification of the structural repairs to restore structural integrity to the bridge where severe corrosion and section loss has occurred.
The cast and wrought iron bridge structure was originally opened to the public on 29th August 1887, and was officially named Jubilee Bridge to commemorate the Jubilee year of Queen Victoria’s reign. The Engineer (Journal) dated 2nd September 1887 reported that the bridge was one of two designs submitted by Mr R M Parkinson Assoc. MICE of Melton Constable as part of a competition for a new bridge hosted by the First Mayor of Lowestoft, Mr Youngman. The article reports that Mr Parkinson reportedly constructed the brickwork abutments and piers himself, whilst the metalwork was contracted to Messrs William Whetford of Millwall. A fun fact from the article is that the first sod of earth was apparently cut on 22nd June 1887, and the bridge was completed and opened to the public just two months later on 29th August 1887. An incredible feat even by todays standards.
As the bridge is a Grade 2 Listed Structure we have been working closely with the East Suffolk Council Conservation Officers in order to develop and agree acceptable and sympathetic structural repair details. Part of our work has also involved investigating the history and original colour scheme for the bridge. This work has also involved researching and reviewing historic photos and paintings of the bridge. This research has unearthed some beautiful old images of the bridge, some of which date back to the late 19th / early 20th century, which we have shared here for others to enjoy.
If you have any old images of the Ravine Bridge that you’re willing to share with us we would be very pleased to see them.
The bridge structural repair works are now well underway, and the bridge will soon be open once again for public use following its closure to the public back in December 2020.